Etsy Mini

Friday, April 29, 2011

Garden Renovations

Everyone appreciates a good Before picture.  So I made sure to take one, before we tore everything to bits and created our dream garden.

The dream garden is still a work in progress, but we are getting there.  All the old raised beds and broken drip pipes have been dug up by Ericka's wonderful boyfriend Todd.  Everything had to be rota-tilled, because the ground was so uneven and hard.  I'm not a fan of tearing up the earth like this, but after seeing what we were working with I finally conceded.

We will be adding natural compost/manure this week and forming everything into rows so we can get out seeds and starts in the ground.  The weather is fantastic so there is no better time.

I am so excited to get everything into the ground.  I have never had a garden this big and I'm looking forward to experimenting and learning.  I am even hoping to be able to conquer some new veggies such as radishes, beets, and chard.  I have never even attempted to grow any of those before, so it will be an adventure.

Plus, there are also three mature grape vines right along the edge of the garden that will be a great learning experience.  I am going to google info about them this week, so I can get them trimmed and looking beautiful before they get much bigger.  We also have an apple tree that hangs over from the neighbors and a huge apricot tree in another part of the yard.  Just talking about all this gets my heart racing.  It's going to be a good gardening year!

No comments:

Post a Comment