Etsy Mini

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Windy Moon

The March full moon is known as the Windy Moon to both the Celts and the Cherokee. I think that is quite appropriate since there is currently a wind advisory in effect until 11pm tonight. It has been so cloudy here I doubt if we'll even be able to see the full moon tomorrow.

Other traditonal names that came up during my search was Worm Moon, which although doesn't sound very pretty makes sense. This is the time of year the ground begins to thaw or soften and worms are able to burrow out of the ground. Here in Redding not much freezes, ever. In fact I know someone who already has their tomato plants in the ground. I'm not that brave or motivated, so I'll take the more traditional route. I read recently, that the Native Americans in this region waited to plant when the snow began to melt in the nearby mt ranges. I actually think they mentioned a specific mountain, but I can't remember.

Anyway, back to the full moon. I love the moon and the full moon is definitely my favorite phase and perhaps not so coincidentally, also when I seem to be in the best mood, according to some people(you know who you are). Although, I think I'm pretty pleasant most the time. This is the point at which you nod agreeably. Have a wonderful Full Moon, hopefully, she will show her snowy face for at least a moment or two tomorrow.

Photo by Ole Begemann

No comments:

Post a Comment